Dogs and cats are unique animals, ranging in size, habits, temperament, breed, etc. However one thing remains the same, have pet's at home can be very messy. To help, I have listed some simple steps to take to manage pet messes and keep your house clean no matter how many pets you have.
The 10 Pet Home Tips
1. Clean-up Accidents Right-away – Don’t let accidents sit around unattended, clean them up as soon as you see them. This prevents a smelly mess and can teach the animal that this is not proper behavior if done correctly. This can include keeping a small bin and broom handy to sweep up hair and dander as soon as you see it.
2. Mop Once a Week, Vacuum Twice – This may seem like a lot of work but only takes a couple of minutes per room when done regularly. Remember the more fine hair and dander you can get rid of, the better for all who live in your home.
3. Keep furniture covered – Using an old sheet or blanket to cover furniture when guests are not visiting is a great idea to keep your furniture looking new for years to come. If you want to enjoy the couch or chair simply fold up a section for you to sit or just remove the cover completely. This can also be applied to your bed. Though company may not see your bedroom, it’s a great way to keep your bed free from pet hairs.
4. Give your pets plenty of time outdoors – Allow your pets plenty of time outside to “do the deed”. This can prevent any mishaps or accidents from occurring inside of your home.
5. Add a Rug or Towel at Entrances and exits – Applying a rug outside door entrances and a towel inside of entrances can add another level of protection from dirt and grime in your home. As your pets walk to and from the house any extra dirt will be caught in the rug and again as they cross the towel on the inside of the door. I've tried training my dog to wipe her feet-didnt quite work.
6. Scoop Litter boxes as Soon as they are Used – A great way to keep your house smelling fresh and clean is to remove excess from litter boxes as soon as they are used. Automatic litter box cleaners are also a good option if you are willing to make the investment. Now if I could just get the cat to change the babies diaper in return!
7. Monthly Bathing and Grooming – Monthly Grooming coupled with bathing can make a huge difference in keeping your pets clean. Grooming and bathing has also been known to cut back on the amount of shedding from our pets. Set an example yourself, dogs are very observant.
8. Change is good –To keep your house super clean, you can change the bedding or cage paper for your pet every other day. This may be considered a bit extreme but has also been proven to work wonders with smell. More attractive than walking around with a clothes pin on your nose.
9. Remove the Carpet in the House – You could always consider getting rid of the carpeted areas in your house. By removing carpet and replacing it with hard floors can cut back on the amount of hair and dander that is left behind upon clean up. Also spills and messes are much easier to clean once the carpet has been removed. Now you'll have a reason to wear those slippers.
10. Keep Pets confined to one area or in a crate. Keeping your pet in one area of your house or out of certain rooms can reduce the ares you need to clean. Use a dog gate to confine your dog to a kitchen when your not home or out of the dining room when you are. Using a dog crate at night or when you are not at home can greatly reduce accidents when you are not able to put your dog out.
In Conclusion: Pets and Home Cleaning
Following these 10 steps may seem like a lot of work but once you get started you will see the benefits far outweigh the work put in. You home will be fresher and cleaner than you previously imagined, creating a healthy, comfortable home for you and your family.